Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Engaged and Still Having Fun



You know that look, that look of confusion beyond the realm of current consciousness; that look, which’s only condolence is, “someday they’ll figure it out…”   We’ve all seen that look; but seeing our students “figure it out” years down the line is not quite as satisfying as when we “figure it out” and look back to the days of our own obliviousness.

This isn’t a story about someone placing a ten dollar bill on the rail of a pool table and my brain, a la Homer Simpson, thinking “Doh!  I wish I had paid more attention in high school geometry!”  No, this story is much more subtle; this isn’t a slap-in-the-face epiphany, this is a realization based on years of personal and professional growth.


During my Easter vacation, I had the opportunity to walk to halls of my former middle school while visiting my mother (a fantastic 7th and 8th grade band director).  As I meandered towards her office, I heard a familiar voice pouring out into the hallway:

“Alright classe, please take out any lapices de colores that you may have and await my instruccion”

This upbeat voice, full of conviction, came from my middle school Spanish teacher.  I stood in the hallway for ten minutes listening to his every word; I was amazed at the quality of teaching coming from this classroom.  The classroom, full of 7th graders, was completely engaged with this teacher.  (Think about that statement, 7th graders + completely engaged)

Following a long conversation with this former teacher, I learned that he has come under recent scrutiny from members of his administration.  This high quality teacher was being chastised for not being very “fun” in the classroom, and this is what got me thinking.

I’m making an assumption based on my own suppositions, but I think it’s safe to say that the only classes that we really remember are the classes that we enjoyed.  I loved Middle School Spanish, High School Band, Economics, English, and even Algebra II; and I loved them because we (the students) were held to high standards in rigorous classrooms.  Our teachers engaged in teaching and in turn, we were engaged in learning.  Yet, as I look back at these teachers, 2 of them are retired, 2 were asked to leave, and one is being criticized for not being “fun enough” in the classroom.

Take another look at the video below and pay close attention to (or only watch) between 5:39-47



Look at the teacher and the students… Fun?  Engaged?  Instructive?  High Expectations?  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.

When did we abandon teaching skills to turn education into a horse and pony show?  When did we forget that students enjoy being engaged?  Rather than focus on fun, let’s focus on quality.  I’ll put $10 on the rail that fun will follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment