Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Did you miss me?

Something interesting happened today; on my drive down to Owatonna (part of many interesting events from the past three months) I found myself listening to a piece that I have always dreamed of conducting.  I have spent literally hours listening to this piece; daydreaming about the future I know to be attainable, yet distant...  I turned it off.  I turned it off and realized that for the first time in a very long time, I am more excited about my present than my future.




Since we last met...  I was hired as the new Director of Bands at Fridley High School in Fridley, Minnesota (northern suburb of Minneapolis), I signed on as the co-director of the Owatonna Community Band, drove to Florida, visited New Orleans, flew to New York City, moved from Rochester to River Falls, spent a week at the University of Minnesota’s “Art of Wind Band Symposium”, taught at the St. Croix Valley Jazz Camp, moved in to my new office at Fridley, re-floored out deck, started fall Marching Band, and fought with myself to find as much time as I could to spend with my friends, family, and fiancee.

WHEW.

and you wondered why it took so long for a new post?

Today marked the second day of marching band at Fridley High School; this, then, marks the second day that I’ve worked with any of the wind players at Fridley and I have to say that I am really excited about the road ahead.  These kids love to play; they push themselves and they seem to have fun doing it.  So on my final drive to Owatonna, I found myself listening to the pieces that I would like to work on this year or next year, and really could have cared less about where I will be in 10 years because I feel like I’ve found the vessel to get me there.

Beyond my professional life, my personal life is what has me really loving each day of my present life.  I am only months away from throwing it all away (kidding .... right?) and tying the knot with a Blogsicler (I think that works...) and while there is so much more to say, I did tell you that this was my personal life, right?

The moral of the story is this: it’s a new year and I’m loving every minute of it.  This blog is back up and running and I look forward to what a new perspective and location adds to my views on music, education, and the world we live in. 


(but... if you just can’t wait for the next blog, take a look at this video for a sneak peak of what’s to come)


0 comments:

Post a Comment