Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Whole Note



I recently wrote this Thank You/Note of Support to the Locked Out Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra. Thought it was fitting to post on here.

A few months ago, musician and violist (get it? Musician AND violist...) Sam Bergman, wrote a blog about society’s obsession with amazing moments at different events. He wrote about how a home run in baseball can be easily built up to an incredible moment, yet easily forgotten within days or weeks of the game; he drew the same comparison to music, where the audience often expects something amazing and may lack satisfaction with a “regular”, high quality performance. While I agree with the message that came from his blog post, I must take a moment to sit back, think about Mr. Bergman, and smile with a sort of “I told you so” grin (even though I never did such a thing) because this has been a night I (and he) may never forget.

My wife and I went to see the Locked Out Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra play this evening at the Minneapolis Convention Center. We’re not your average twenty-something’s; we live for orchestra concerts, musical lectures and public radio. I am a high school music teacher and my wife is currently working odd jobs while trying to find a career in the arts; we do not make the kind of money to donate large sums of money to the Orchestra or to even purchase season ticket packages to MnOrch. However, when the orchestra’s schedule is released in the late winter/early spring, we carefully survey the upcoming season, much like we do with the Twins’ home baseball schedule, to pick out the concerts we plan to save up for, because there is no better “Date Night” in the Twin Cities than dinner at Brits, a concert by the Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra, and a drive home full of discussion over the evening’s performance. So needless to say, when we heard about the current lockout, we were both heartbroken. Though amidst this heartache, a silver lining came in the form of a Gala Concert.

In the middle of a sold out auditorium, we witnessed an entire community of the arts come together in support of what music means to all of us. From the moment we began singing the Star Spangled Banner, I could feel a lump in my throat as I tried to hold back tears. The energy in the room was palpable as the Musicians played with the highest level of quality. The appropriate choice of Shostakovich’s 5th Symphony was a great way to end this performance; though the highlight of the night may have been the standing ovation that seemed to never end.

I tried to find Sam Bergman after the concert to thank him (as a way of thanking all of you) but was unsuccessful. It doesn’t bother me though, because I’m sure that amidst all of the supporters in this Minnesota Musical Community, I knew this was a concert the LOMoMO would always remember. Over time, I may forget what was played, or what tempo was taken at the end of the Shostakovich, but I will always remember what it felt like to see all of those people stand up for the power of music in the state of Minnesota.

Thank you, Musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra. Amidst such tense and polarizing times, you helped to bring all of our worries to a halt for a few hours; hours that will last a life time in our minds and hearts. We are with you; we always have been, we always will be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment